Well, we are fast approaching the autumnal equinox. As the mornings grow dewy and cool, we find ourselves looking back over the bright days of summer and wondering where the year has gone.
In the next few weeks the frenzy of All Hallow’s Eve will begin to set in, for those looking forward to an opportunity to garb themselves in splendid attire for all to see.
With that in mind, I’ve been seeking out some interesting decor ideas for this year’s Halloween party. So here are the first five of ten tricks to get you going. I may be posting this list preemptively, but I’ll bring up more ideas as we get closer to the real party time.
10. A friend of mine recommended using tapioca balls (as used in boba) in a jar to make them look like rat’s eyes. I believe if you soaked just the pearls in several drops of food coloring and then floated them in ice cold water (so that they floated at different levels) in a big glass jar, they’d look extra spooky.
9. Of course, this time of year encyclopedias are easy to acquire at thrift stores or even for free on Craigslist. If you’re only going to use them as props, try spraying the covers and edges lightly with a silvery spray paint to make them look aged and creepily dusty. These are a great addition for your haunted library!
8. My personal favorite for staircases and similar areas are silhouette rats. You can cut them out from black construction paper and fix them to the walls with double-sided tape or ticky tack. I got the template from Martha Stuart.
6. If you aren’t feeling up to the task of carving pumpkins, try carving mini gourds! They make great looking goblins when they’ve dried out. Turnips are also a good choice, but make sure to coat them with citrus so they don’t start smelling weird.
5. Granite textured spray paint lends a creepy air to everything–try making tombstones out of cardboard or foam and painting them for a realistic finish!
The next 5 to follow next week–stay tuned! If you want a real adventure, we’ll talk about making creepy spiders that even your roommates will hate…